What inspires you to create new and inspiring spaces in your home? Is it your passion for life? Is it your family? Or maybe it’s looking through that remodeling magazine that sparks an idea to do your own creation. As David Allan Coe once said, “It is not the beauty of a building you should look at; its the construction of the foundation that will stand the test of time.” Sometimes looking at the foundations for what makes up your family can inspire you to create a space that will encourage togetherness and strengthen that foundation.
"At Legacy Design-Build, we provide a level of quality workmanship that is second to none. Our full line of custom homes, interior and exterior remodeling services is competitively priced — we deliver top value for your dollar through our team of professionals who are committed to providing quality home remodeling that you and your family will be able to enjoy for many years to come."
A key to having a successful remodel is pre-planning. Before you begin your remodel, you need to know why you are remodeling and what you are looking for as an end result. Whether it’s your whole house or just a room, here are four great tips to help you get through it without any hassles.
1. Get it done right: this is one of the most important tips. There is nothing worse than starting a project and realizing you are in over your head. Especially after you have done a great deal of damage or have wasted expensive materials. Hiring the right professional guarantees the job is done right the first time.
2. Blend in with your neighbors: Your home should reflect the overall look of your neighborhood. If you over improve the appearance of your home your resale value will decrease. After all, you wouldn’t want to pay full price for a mansion located in a low-end neighborhood, would you? On the flipside, you hurt your home’s resale value if you perform inferior improvements in an upscale neighborhood.
3. Start with your existing space: You can easily add space to your home by converting storage areas into functional spaces. Your basement and attic are great examples of this and your checkbook will thank you at the end of the remodel.
4. Stick to the classics: it’s easy to get carried away with the latest trends. However, it’s better to pick materials and finishes you will like for years to come. It will help your resale value and limit the number of times you need to remodel. Brass bathroom fixtures are a great example of products that will delight you for years to come.
Planning a remodel can be a difficult task but can be made easier by following the above tips. For more tips on getting the most out of your remodel contact Legacy Design Build or visit us at one of our upcoming trade shows.
Being without your kitchen for any length of time is hectic, scary and possibly expensive. Make your kitchen remodel a little less stressful with these expert tips:
Create a New Kitchen: Set up a temporary kitchen in a place like your garage, basement or utility room (ideally someplace with a sink). Add the cabinets you are getting rid of to your temporary kitchen. If the cabinets don’t have a countertop anymore, lay plywood on top so you’ll have a work surface and a place for small appliances.
Get Organized: Put all of the items you only occasionally use in storage. Take all of the items you use on a daily basis and put them in clearly labeled plastic storage containers.
Cook Ahead of Time: Make big meals and freeze them. During the remodel, defrost portions and reheat them in the microwave or break out the crock pot. Using a crock pot will reduce the number of pots and pans you use. You can make great dishes for the crock pot ahead of time and freeze them. Here a couple examples. http://freebies2deals.com/2012/08/frozen-crock-pot-meals-save-money-and-save-time.html
Borrow a Kitchen: Cook a meal for your neighbor (and yourself) in exchange for use of his or her kitchen. He or she will likely be delighted to have you cook a meal for them.
Cook Outdoors – Depending on the time of year, cook on a grill or a camping stove. If you don’t have a camping stove they are an inexpensive second hand purchase.
Eat simply – Breakfasts don’t have to include bacon and eggs every morning. Try fresh fruit and muffins instead. When it comes to lunches and snacks, buy things that can be stored without refrigeration or don’t need to be reheated or cooked.
Budget for meals out – Most likely, you will be eating in restaurants more often. Make sure you account for these extra expenses either in your remodeling budget or in your monthly entertainment budget.
Get-Away- Plan a weekend away from everything during the middle of your project. . Go to a hotel or motel for a couple of nights and relax…do anything but remodel! This mini-vacation may be the best gift you can give yourself during the remodel.
For more information on remodeling your home, click HERE and may your remodel be as stress free as possible.
You have decided your home needs a fireplace; it’s now time to design it! No matter the style of your home you can find a fireplace that will compliment it. Here are four great choices:
1. Stone: For an earthy, rustic décor, stone is a perfect choice. With many different types of stone, you are able to find the best one for your style and the type of focal point you want. Different types of stone can either create an antique or modern look.
2. Brick: To create a timeless and vintage look to your fireplace, brick is a great option. To make it more modern, add wood around the brick.
3. Tile: Tile around the fireplace will add a pop of color and texture. You can choose whether you want a subtle or an attention-grabbing color. The brighter the color the stronger the focal point.
4. Copper: For a really strong focal point, a copper fireplace is the way to go. Copper is so unique it is an immediate attention grabber. Also, copper is earthy so it fits well with most styles and décor.
No matter what style your home has, a fireplace can match it. For more additions to your home check out our website. We would love to help you create your dream home.
Basement remodeling is an essential project that will add space to your home! Your basement could be much more than a big storage room where your odds and ends go. Many families don’t utilize the basement space for fear it will be an out of budget project and extremely time consuming. But with our years experience, can help you transform your basement into a multipurpose living area for your whole family to enjoy for years to come. We work with you every step of the way to make sure the project is in your budget and is tailored to your lifestyle. Some fun ideas for basement additions are a personal fitness center, wine bar, and entertainment area.
A wine bar is perfect for social gatherings or a cozy night in. It’s convenient and you can keep your favorites around for any occasion. You can also keep your wine at the perfect temperature- no waiting around for the perfect chill! People sometimes have a walk-in wine bar or a wine cellar in the basement to keep it out of the way and out of the children’s reach. Some make it more of a statement and have bar stools with lights. This is a fun way to implement your own unique style into the design of your wine bar. This is more practical and would be a more budget friendly option for those who don’t want to go all out.
For those who don’t like to drive to the gym, a fitness center may be the perfect option. Work out on your own time without worrying about travel time. There are many other reasons to invest in a home gym: it’s private, cost effective, and benefits your health immensely. Depending upon the amount of gym equipment you own, an at home gym in the basement can be big or small.
This is one of the more practical additions and can have different price ranges. Some people choose to add an at home theatre which is more of a luxurious option. Others just choose to have a cozy area with a fireplace and a TV. Both are sufficient options, it just depends on your lifestyle and tastes. Games are in the entertainment category and are fun for the kids and guests. Add some variety to your basement by adding air hockey or a pool table.
Designed by Legacy Design-Build
Designed by Legacy Design-Build
All of these additions will add value to your home if you ever choose to put it on the market. If you meet with us, we promise we will find the perfect design and idea for your personality and lifestyle. Make your dreary basement a thing of the past and remodel your basement!
We all want our dream kitchen and we all have different ideas of what the “perfect” kitchen would be. These days, there is something new coming out every day as far as home appliances go and popular styles of kitchens. So when you are in the kitchen preparing large and time consuming meals or even a quick frozen pizza, there are unique features that can make you even more excited to be in your kitchen. We value every part of our customers’ lives and the kitchen is a huge one!
We’re here to help you in every step of remodeling your kitchen. We help you come up with innovative and unique ideas to make it special for you. Functionality is a critical factor in any kitchen design, but your kitchen is also quite likely to be a popular gathering spot for both family and friends. While a center island might be used as a food prep area or a place where your kids can do their homework, it might also function perfectly as a serving area for a casual dinner on other occasions.
We have narrowed down a list of possible “dream” home additions to your kitchen:
A walk-in pantry is great for those who need that extra space but don’t want all of our food out in the open. Keep food items on hand and in tip-top shape with an organized kitchen pantry. Walk-in pantry designs allow easy access and storage of nonperishable foods, wine, small appliances, and tableware.
Moveable Kitchen Island
A kitchen island or smaller kitchen carts can offer some additional counter and storage space and give your kitchen a fresh new look. We can make sure to provide you with a top quality island that looks exceptional in your kitchen. It’s nice to able to change up the look of your kitchen once in a while or create some extra space if needed!
Cutting Board Over The Garbage Disposal
This is a perfect example of a clever design solution that saves time and effort. This addition won’t cost you an arm and a leg, but will be one of the best additions you could make.
For all of the wine lovers, this addition is perfect. It keeps your wine at the perfect temperature for the best taste possible. Save space and also have a chic looking kitchen while always being prepared to entertain or just relax with a glass of wine.
This is one of our favorites, but maybe one of the less known additions. Forget about carrying pots full of water back and forth from the sink to the stove. The attached faucet is tall enough for even the biggest pots or maybe you just a need a little water for a stir fry. Either way, it can save you time and can prevent spilling of water! This is a common fixture in restaurant kitchens. They are becoming more and more common in home kitchens because they are so practical and attractive.
We’d love to hear what you would want in your dream kitchen. At Legacy, we make these dreams a reality and we work with you every step of the way.
What room do you go to in your house to escape it all and have some time to yourself? The bathroom probably wasn’t the first place that came to find for the large majority of people. But if you stop and think about it, the bathroom is always quiet and usually empty. So why not make it your personal sanctuary that you can count on for some peace and relaxation. Here are some features that will take your bathroom to the next level of relaxation.
Create your own spa-like getaway in your bathroom by installing a steam shower. This could be the ultimate stress reliever after a long day. Simply push a button and seconds later you’ll be surrounded by a cloud of scented steam. For twenty minutes you won’t be able to stop yourself from going anywhere but to your happy place!
A simple pleasure that instantly soothes the entire body is the feeling you get from walking barefoot on a heated surface. It doesn’t matter what season it is, none of us can deny the fact that we like a little warmth under our toes at all points of the year. So ditch the slippers and extra thick bathroom rugs and do yourself a favor by installing some heated floors.
Light a few candles, turn on your favorite music and take a dip in a hot bubble bath. Oh, and we forgot to mention that you should also turn on the jets so they can give your back and shoulders a massage. Do we really need to say more? This is one bathroom feature that you won’t regret splurging on!
Put the finishing touches on your home spa and treat yourself to some chromotherapy by installing colored lights. For those of you who aren’t familiar with the term, chromotherapy is using light in the form of color to the balance “energy” in a person’s body where it might be lacking. (Let’s hope it’s generous with the energy on those early Monday mornings!)
The best part is that Legacy is ready and waiting to help you out with any of your bathroom renovation needs. Your personal sanctuary is just a phone call away!
You’re remodel is complete, now it’s time to really get the creative juices flowing! The next part of the renovation process is decorating. Decorating is a fun step because it allows the chance to take some of the homeowner’s personality and flair and embody it in their home. This is what makes each and every home special. Find décor that best suits the vibe you want to create; from simple to sophisticated, here are some tips for every personal style
- Think Darker: The old myth is wrong; painting a room a darker shade doesn’t actually make it look smaller. It does just the opposite, dark walls enhance a room and make it seem even bigger.
- Lighting: When it comes to lamps, feel free to have one of every size in a single room. Some smaller lamps may be more for decorative purposes while a tall floor lamp provides ample lighting for reading or other activities.
- Trendy Tables: A popular trend today is having an ottoman instead of the traditional coffee table. With a tray on top, it still functions as a hard surface to set drinks or food on, but after it is done serving that purpose, remove the tray and it becomes a comfortable leg rest.
- Mix it Up: Add a playful element at the dinner table by not having perfectly matching dining room chairs. This helps avoid having the stereotypical dinner table setting and as an added bonus, it could possibly help stimulate some interesting table talk.
- Create Space: Another tip for making a living room look spacious that is even easier than repainting is to move the furniture away from the walls. Give your furniture some breathing room and it will reward you in return.
- Fabric Choices: Get the most life out of your dollar by buying leather furniture. Leather and vinyl are the two most durable types of fabric which means you won’t have to worry about replacing furniture or reupholstering dining chairs as often in comparison to using other fabrics.
- Accents: From pillows to a great wall hanging, no matter what room in the house you’re decorating, having an accent piece or two will help bring extra life to an area. Play around with fun colors and patterns and you’ll be pleasantly surprised with the outcome.
Sitting out on a deck or porch while sipping on a refreshing, cold beverage or just soaking up some beautiful summer weather is a pastime enjoyed by many – especially Minnesotans. Whether you’re entertaining family and friends or sunbathing with a good book, it never fails to be relaxing. Sprucing up your deck or porch this season is a great way to enhance the experience. That’s why we’ve put together a list of trendy options to take your outdoor space to the next level.
There’s no better way to beat the heat than by taking a dip in a swimming pool. On the other hand, think of how much more relaxing it would be to watch a sunset from inside a hot tub. Neither option is ever regretted by patio owners.
Mix it up
Get creative with your deck flooring. Using different toned materials will give the floor a contemporary look. Also, switch up the mundane deck flooring technique by running the boards in various directions.
There’s no rule that says a deck needs to be perfectly proportional. Curved edges are not only more attractive to the eye but also give a space flow and an added playful element.
Cover it Up
Don’t let the weather define when you are allowed to spend time out on your porch. Awnings keep out the rain and also provide shade when it’s a scorcher outside. If you still want to soak up some UV rays while on the deck, a plexiglass or fiberglass roof could give you the best of both worlds.
Maximize Your Space
Built-in benches along the railings can make a small deck look spacious. This even gives you some extra room to add other decor like a stylish free standing fire pit.
Enhance your deck or porch by implementing any or even all of these features. When it comes down to it, we want you to have the outdoor space you’ve always been dreaming of. Let us help you make those dreams a reality.
Adds Value to Your Home
Porches and decks will add value to your home. Future buyers will see all the benefits a porch or deck has to offer. In return your home will sell faster and for more money. Not only will a patio offer financial value, it will add value to your life by giving you a place to relax and entertain.
Sitting on your porch or deck feeling the warm Summer air is a great way to relax, especially after a long workday. A porch or deck is a great place to read a good book, draw or listen to music. Use your porch or deck in the morning to drink a cup of coffee while reading the Sunday newspaper. Your porch or deck is your ultimate sanctuary.
Patios are great for hosting birthday parties or summer celebrations. Cook outside and invite all your friends over for a barbecue. Your summer bashes will be a hit with all your family, friends and neighbors. We can help you design your dream porch or deck.